The other night I was rambling around on the internet visiting some blogs I haven’t visited in a while and introducing myself to new blogs I have never seen. In the process I stumbled on a post titled Project 52. Interested, I read not only that post but followed the link to one of the hosts of Project 52 find out more about it.
Basically Project 52 is about accomplishing goals. Everyone sets New Year’s resolutions and everybody breaks those resolutions within the first 3 weeks. They are usually unrealistic, unattainable and unimaginative. (Lose weight, eat healthy, work out more…see they’re all the same.) But what about smaller goals? Almost like a yearly to do list. One that you can cross off items and actually see progress. Would that work? I don’t know but I’m going to try it!
I hit a few blogs and looked at their Project 52 lists. Some of theirs were kind of intimidating! But I’m taking more of an under the radar approach. I’m setting small goals this year and depending on how it works maybe I’ll aim higher next year. And to make myself more accountable (and partly because I’ll need a few cheerleaders!) I’m going to post my Project 52 list here and cross them off after I have achieved them. Feel free to give me a kick in the behind if you feel I’m slacking at all. So here it is guys- my Project 52 list:
1. Try 1 new main dish recipe a month. (I used to be good at this, but as I get busier I get less creative)
2. Try 1 new dessert a month. (My guys are always complaining I don’t bake enough)
3. Make a crockpot meal once a week (It’s such a timesaver!)
4. Stick to my weekly grocery budget (I’m trying the new cash envelope system for this)
5. Add to my savings monthly -Lately I’ve been subtracting 😦
6. Pay off all hospital/doctor bills by April 1st
7. Take an outdoor walk weekly (Even in this cold Minnesota weather)
8. Do the 50 mile bike ride with Zach
9. Do a girl’s camping trip or weekend with Janeen. (We’ve been planning this for years and never do it)
10. Take mom out for margaritas. (Can you say “happy hour”, mom?)
11. Host a Bunco night
12. Wash the outside of my house (It’s awful, it really is)
13. Lose 20 pounds (yes I know I need to lose 4x that amount but these goals are supposed to be attainable, remember?)
14. Go ice fishing with my hubby (He likes to fish- I don’t. and I HATE the cold!)
15. Shoot bow with my hubby (He really wants me to do this so I will)
16. Do 1 date night a month with my hubby. (I’m hearing all the time on Facebook how all my friends have such a good time on their weekly date nights. I’m so jealous!)
17. Read 100 books. (Last year I read 86 I KNOW I can hit 100 this year)
18. Do an independent Bible study. (I love the one I facilitate yearly and I have no more time left in my schedule to join another one so I think an independent study might well be the answer)
19. Read 1 inspirational book a month.
20. Pull 1 book a month off my personal bookshelf and place it in my TBR pile. (I have a lot of books I’ve purchased because I sincerely want to read them, so why do I keep checking out stacks from the library?)
21. Go through clothes in closet and give to charity. (I’m not a clothes horse but I have run out of room)
22. Blog on book blog once a week. (I enjoyed book blogging but I quit when life got crazy and I just haven’t gotten back to it)
23. Plan at least 2 meals a week from my pantry. (I get such great coupon deals and I have been stockpiling. Now I have to use it!)
24. Add $5.00 to my Christmas fund weekly (doesn’t sound like much but it will add up, trust me)
25. Find new website for Boy Scouts (the one I have been using now wants to charge us so I’m shopping for a new free one)
26. Update the new website for Boy Scouts once a week during school year
27. Paint my living room (I’m afraid of color. I like open, clean white but I’m ready to stretch)
28. Redo wiring/cabling on my TV/home theater/ DVD recorder/satellite.
29. Install new garbage can roller system under sink
30. Fill in potholes in driveway (it’s like riding a bucking bronco all the way up to my garage)
31. Go to 3 movies at theater this year. (we never go, it’s pitiful)
32. Get flower beds cleaned out by June 1st (last year I think I got to them sometime around the 4th of July!)
33. Get flag back up on flagpole. (pulley system broke- I miss it)
34. Get back to weekly training topic at work.
35. Hold 2 training meetings at work this year
36. Go on 1 pilgrimage with my church (I’ve missed some good ones due to expense or having to take time off from work. One of the day trip pilgrimages would be fun. Walmart will not close down if I ask for the day off!)
37. Have Janeen and Al over for a card night.
38. Have Janeen and Al over for a BBQ
39. Treat mom & dad to a Dutch Oven meal.
40. Hold a coupon class for the Janeen, Lori & Janelle (they’ve been begging!)
41. Bring treats to work for the holidays to thank my associates and show them they are appreciated (I’m thinking Valentines, St Patricks Day, Easter, Independence Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, & Christmas. I used to do this several years ago)
42. Visit Papa twice a week.
43. Get Kevin started on religious emblem.
44. Do the Safety merit badge with our patrol.
45. Get Christmas shopping done early. Done by December 1st. (I hated all the last minute scrambling this year. So stressful!)
46. Do 1 freezer meal a month. (It doesn’t take any longer to double a meal and freeze one for later)
47. Keep up with the Motivated Mom’s chore list. (It’s been helping me break down my duties so housework doesn’t seem so overwhelming)
48. Donate to one new charity this year.
49. Participate in the March of Dimes Walkathon (I have only missed 1 in the last 21 years!)
50. Have 3 Tyler days this year (a day with just my firstborn. I never get to spend time with him)
51. Have 3 Zach days this year (can’t leave out my youngest)
52. Have a Pamper Me day (I need a day for just me. Just one. That’s all I ask!)
So there’s my list. Whew! They seemed like small things when I was writing it out but now that I’ve posted them it looks like I have a lot of work to do!
Wish me luck, I’ll keep you posted!