Simply the Simmonds Life

family, life and love on the lake

Backyard Campout at my House October 19, 2010

Filed under: Life's Musings — Angie S. @ 8:34 pm

Friday night the fun started at the Simmonds house.  Our Mighty Eagles Boy Scout Patrol met at 5pm and began to set up camp.  Once the tents were up and the campfire stoked we made our traditional first night meal of beans and wienies and chips.  Then we sat around the campfire the rest of the evening.  Our Scoutmaster Dan stopped out with his wife around 8 pm and joined us for smores.

The next morning after a breakfast of pancakes and sausage patties we headed out on a nature hike.  We picked up our staves and walked back to Mud Lake and headed down the trail where we took in the beautiful leaf covered path. Then we looped around the swamp and headed back around to our house. 

The boys then took the saws back into the woods to find some small trees for a couple of pioneering projects we were attempting.  One of the requirements for First Class rank is to make a useful camp object by lashing.  We chose to make a clothesline.  One year when the boys took a canoe trip it rained all afternoon.  They all pulled their canoes into camp soaking wet.  If they had built a clothesline they would have had a better chance of drying their clothes, especially if they had pulled the rack close to the fire.  Zach taught the two younger scouts how to lash and soon Josiah and Austin had the clothesline done.

Thinking that the younger scouts were having too much fun, Andrew and his dad Mark headed into the woods to find some lumber for a cooking tripod.  Soon, however, they were back and one of them was bleeding.  Mark had cut his hand with one of the saws.  After he had washed it out I tried to talk him into going in to get it stitched.  He didn’t think it needed it, bit it looked deep and wide.  When he got back into camp and showed Alvin , Alvin agreed he should probably go in.  So he did.  Fourteen stitches later he was back in time for lunch!

After lunch, Mark and Andrew headed back into the woods for more wood.  Mark was not going to let that tripod get the better of him!  They finally got the tripod done and it looked great!  After that, the boys shot bow for a while and we sat around the campfire until dark and then had supper.  We were really tired so we turned in early.  Mark went home because he had to work the next morning.

Sunday morning I woke the boys up at 6:30am so they would have a chance to eat breakfast before we headed to church.  Once we were back from church the boys took off on another hike in the woods and then they came back for lunch.  After lunch they took a few minutes to woodburn some wooden medallions before we tore down camp.

At 1pm our patrol met up with most of the rest of the Scouts at Central Lakes College to help Kevin with his Eagle Scout project of building a chimney swift house.  As you can see, it was a very busy, but productive weekend.  I am exhausted, but so thankful we have an active patrol that gets along so well.  It’s always fun when the Mighty Eagles get together!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s