Last Friday the Boy Scouts in our troop got the opportunity to visit the Fire Station to work on our Fire Safety Merit Badge. What a great experience that was. First off I would like to thank Mark and Kevin for being our instructors that night. I learned so many things I did not know and I’m sure the boys did too because they were very quiet and attentive for the 2 1/2 hours we were there. Some things I learned:
**1 in 4 homes do not have a working smoke detector (change batteries twice a year and blow the dust out of it with compressed air or a vaccuum cleaner monthly)
**Fire is very hot (I knew this part!) and the temperature can be as high as 2000 degrees near the ceiling of your room while only 300-400 degrees near the floor. Always stay low.
**Fire doubles in size every 30-60 seconds. This doesn’t give you much time to get out safely.
**Keep all interior doors shut. There is a huge difference between a room left open and a room with a shut door. Get in the habit of closing doors when you leave.
**Smoke from a fire is not like what you see in the movies. Smoke from a fire will make your room blacker then night in just a few minutes. Even though you know your home this utter blackness can be very confusing. NEVER go back into the burning building once you have left it.
After the class we got to go out to the garage and look at the different types of fire trucks, the hovercraft, and watch one of the fire fighters slide down the pole. Soo cool. I must be a kid at heart because I found some of this to be as exciting as some of the kids did! When we were done for the evening I gathered their merit badge worksheets and gave them all an atomic fireball to suck on on the way out (I couldn’t resist that one!). Thank you Brainerd Fire Department for a super fun evening.